Diabetes Workshops for Healthcare Professionals (HCP) are offered by the Diabetes Centre Calgary, Endocrinology and Metabolism Program. They are instructed by the Diabetes Centre Calgary zone program Medical Director and the Calgary Zone Endocrinology & Metabolism Program's three Education Consultants. They have been offered at no cost for registrants since 2012. Prior to COVID, they were in person three times a year. However, since COVID they have been reduced to half-day events via Zoom and only twice a year (we can accomodate more participants via zoom). Please register for any individual workshop (basic, intermediate or advanced), or any series of workshops, that best meets your needs.
To register, please click the relevant dates. You'll be directed to Eventbrite to register online.
2021 Schedule for Diabetes Workshops for Healthcare Professionals
SEPT- OCTOBER 2021 via Zoom. Each session is 0800-12:00 with 12:00-12:30 as Q & A
- Sept 29, 2021 (Wed) - Basic Diabetes Zoom Workshop for Health Professionals. Register via Eventbrite.
- Oct 6, 2021 (Wed) - Intermediate Diabetes Zoom Workshop for Health Professionals. Register via Eventbrite.
- Oct 20, 2021 (Wed) - Advanced Diabetes Zoom Workshop for Health Professionals. Register via Eventbrite.
- Merge the medical and client centered approaches with case examples
- Increase confidence, knowledge and skills
- Provide practice accessing and using resources
- Encourage attendees to share, question, explore and build on topics
- Reinforce what’s known; review what’s new; refresh what’s forgotten
- Have fun. It’s inevitable.
There are always new questions, new perspectives, new ideas.
Our workshops benefit from the shared experiences of attendees from specialty clinics, PCNs, community and private services from across Alberta who have included:
- Behavioral Health Consultants
- LPNs, MOAs
- Nurse Practitioners
- Social Workers
- And more …
Basic Diabetes Workshop
The one day basic workshop provides large and small group practice sessions and scenarios for all aspects of diabetes appointments. Topics are arranged in the order of a typical diabetes outpatient appointment. Topics include setting and prioritizing agendas as well as advising and assisting clients on management options while keeping client conviction and confidence levels in mind. The focus is on safety, individualizing targets and care, and on preparing you for real-life scenarios.
Intermediate Diabetes Workshop
The one day intermediate workshop includes large and small group practice intensifying diabetes management through choosing second and third line medications, adjustment of diabetes agents, the teaching of insulin starts and basal insulin adjustment.
Advanced Diabetes Workshop
The one day advanced workshop includes considerable small group/individual practice with bolus starts and complex insulin adjustments. Cases involve the creation, analysis and adjustment of basal/bolus therapies with both “set meal boluses” and insulin-to-carbohydrate ratios and sensitivity factors. Other topics include travel plans and insulin dosing errors. The Insulin Adjustment: Desktop Reference (AHS, Endocrinology and Metabolism Program) is used extensively in this workshop, particularly in the analysis of blood glucose results that are erratic.