To search this Diabetes Blood Glucose Meters Page, hold "Ctrl" + "f" (PC) or "Cmd" + "f" (Mac) and type in your search word.
- Click here for Genteel Lancing Device info
- Blood glucose meters are listed by brand below and include links to user manuals and websites.The mention of products on this page is not an endorsement.
- Please ask patients to carefully investigate shipping costs and return policies when ordering online, and to check for strip expiration dates after receiving products regardless of where purchased. Patients report varied experiences with online ordering (good and bad).
- COST: Most test strips cost about 70 to 89 cents a piece. However, significantly less expensive test strips are available with the EndoMedical Bravo meter and the GE meter (click on one of the meter names for more info). Dispensing fees differ between pharmacies. Patients paying out of pocket may wish to call pharmacies (including online pharmacies) to investigate their fees (and shipping costs if online).
- Diasend accepts uploads of most glucose metes and CGM.
- Accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters
- Blood Glucose Meter Summary Sheet for Health Educators in our Topics Catalogue, to quickly learn how to access the memory in each meter.
- Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM) and CGM Brands
- Health Canada's Medical Devices Active Licence Listing (MDALL)
Abbott markets blood glucose meters and an interstitial glucose monitor. View their website.
Freestyle Lite BG meter
Freestyle InsuLinx BG meter with bolus calculator CAA1c code for healthcare professional use. NOTE: In 2019 Abbott reported they will be phasing out this meter.
Freestyle Precision Neo BG meter: (blood glucose and ketone testing; to replace the Precision Xtra).
- Freestyle Libre - Glucose sensor measures interstitial glucose. This is not a blood glucose meter. It is called Flash or intermittently viewed continuous glucose montor (iCGM). It utilizes AGP - Ambulatory Glucose Profiles (see sample graphs and cases). For more on CGM devics in general, visit our CGM page.
ASCENSIA (previously Bayer)
View all Ascensia meters : Contour Next, Contour Next USB, Contour Next EZ (and the Contour Next Link, pairs with Medtronic Insulin Pump)
- Instructions: Setting up app, checking glucose, reviewing results
- App:"Contour Diabetes App" on iOS, Android store.
- Menu > MyCare > Reports > Blood Sugar Diary (PDF can be emailed. Click here for sample report) or Blood Sugar Report Summary
- Menu > MyCare > Targets
- View data in the app on phone or via PDF reports sent from the app. Results can also be viewed and printed from the Contour Next One app's secure cloud account. The cloud account results can be delivered to other devices e.g. parent. Call company 1-800# or see page 23 of the Contour App User Manual.
- Download desktop GlucoFacts software and manual
- Bravo Meter. Visit company website.
- Available for purchase in Canada through DiabetesExpress.ca
- 2018 pricing: Strips $39.99 CAD per 100 (meter free with purchase of strips)
GE 200 meter: Company website for Canada
A reduction in the price of GE strips (about $9.60 off retail) is available by using the Innovicares program when purchasing at the pharmacy. The pharmacies below can arrange this.
GE is available at Walmart, Safeway, Sobeys, London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart North Hill Shopping Centre & Rexall pharmacies and at the following independent outlets: Richmond Sq Pharmacy, Marshall Drugs, Sage Plus Pharmacy, Medicine Shoppe 4th St. SW, Cambrian Pharmacy., Calgary Drug Mart #13-10 Richard Way SW, Simon's Valley IDA. And close satellite communities, Two Pharmacy Cochrane, Shoppers Drug Mart Okotoks.
- The Genteel device advertises lancing without pain by controlling the depth of penetration and combining it with a vacuum.
- Visit Genteel Website
App: OneTouch Reveal in iOS, Android. Visit the app set up video.
Insulin Mentor (Bolus Calculator).
Note that the food library in th app presents carbohydrate content that includes fibre. Fibre is not subtracted and the grams of fibre are not visible.
Insuiln Mentor Setup Steps:
- Open Reveal App
- Click “More” in top right hand corner
- Click “My settings”
- Turn on “Insulin Mentor” and enter your individual provider code
- Proceed to enter the settings for the patient
- You can allow them access to adjust settings (or not)
- If needed, download pdf Setup of Insulin Mentor , see complete setup instructions and support docs.
- Medisure Company Website and
ROCHE - App with Accu-Chek Connect
Meters include: Accu-Chek Aviva, Accu-Chek Guide (Accu-Chek Nano and Connect are no longer actively promoted. The company will continue to support them, but is in the process of phasing them out.)
- The App “MySugr” was purchased by Roche and is compatible with the Accu-Chek Guide, connecting via Bluetooth. Once the Accu-chek Guide is paired with the app and data is downloaded (see instructions along with sample logbook here), the app will upgrade to a free "Pro" version to permit emailing of logbook data. Data might include insulin dose, g carb and food pictures if entered by the patient at the time.
- Contact the national assistance number 1-800-363-7949