The right skin care product can make all the difference for your patient when it comes to managing pump and/or CGM dressings.
The following skin care products may be available at pharmacies, online sites such as Amazon or online diabetes supply stores e.g.Diabete Express. We encourage patients talk to their pharmacist, physician, pump/CGM trainer or diabetes educator about which product may be right for them.
1. Adhesive Wipes
- Friars Balsam (tincture of benzoin): Paints on a yellow color and provides immediate adherence, a favorite among hockey players who frequently sweat off sites.
- Mastisol® by Eloquest: Waterproof medical adhesive that secures dressings in moist environments. Suggest using a removal aid (wipe) prior to removing any dressing secured with mastisol. Available in vials or spray.
- Skin Tac® by Torbot: Hypoallergenic, latex-free, clear, non-rubber liquid adhesive. Acts as a barrier and also adds to adherence. Available in wipes or in bottle (with dauber). Suggest using a removal aid prior to removing any dressing secured with Skin Tac.
2. Adhesive Removal Products
- Detachol™ by Eloquest: A non-drying and non-stinging adhesive remover.
- Tac Away™ by Torbot: Available in wipes, non-greasy.
- Remove™ Adhesive Remover by Smith and Nephew
- AllKare® Adhesive Remover Square Wipes by ConvaTec
- UNI-SOLVE™ Adhesive Remover by Smith and Nephew
- Baby oil may also help remove stubborn dressings (if Mastisol® or Skin Tac® were not used).
3. Adhesive Tapes
- Hypafix tape® by BSN Medical/Mefix tape® by Molnlycke health Care: Stretchy, latex free, hypoallergenic adhesive tape.
- Nexcare Coban® Athletic Wrap by 3M: Self-adherent wrap used to secure dressings or devices. Sticks to itself but nothing else, decreasing risk of skin irritation. Contains latex.
- Vet wrap - similar to athletic wrap, available in animal supply stores and may be less expensive.
- Tegaderm® by 3M: Thin, transparent dressing available in various shapes and sizes. Can also be used as a barrier (see below).
- GrifGrips® decorative adhesives stickers for CGM, Omnipod and infusion sets.
- Various adhesive patches available specifically for Libre and/or Dexcom sensors (Simpatch® and other generic brands).
4. Barrier Products (Skin Protection)
- AllKare® by Convatec: Protective barrier wipes.
- Adapt® by Hollister: Skin protective wipes. Good for sensitive skin due to increased moisturizer, however may affect adhesion.
- Cavilon® by 3M: A non-stinging barrier film. Available as spray or wipe.
- Skin Tac® by Torbot: Adhesive product that can also serve as barrier.
- Skin-Prep® by Smith and Nephew: Protective dressing wipes.
- Tegaderm® by 3M: Thin, transparent dressing available in various shapes and sizes. Can be used as a barrier to protect skin beneath dressing. Advise patient to cut a small hole in the middle of the dressing (like a donut) where cannula and/or sensor will pass through.