Nutrition plays a critical role in helping people with diabetes achieve optimal health. The following pages provide information you can provide to your patients. Consider referring your patient to a dietitian for specific advice, especially for
- advice about incorporating principles into work and home life
- advanced carbohydrate counting
- if there are other therapeutic needs (e.g. kidney disease)
- if modifications are needed or requested (e.g. vegetarian diet)
See the Diabetes Services page for referral options in the Calgary zone.
- General Nutrition Guidelines for people with diabetes
- Carbohydrate Management
- Nutrition Resources
- Nutrition guidelines for all clinicians are available at AHS Nutrition Guidelines for Healthcare Providers.
- More detailed guidelines are available to RDs within AHS on the NFS shared drive. Dietitians who work in PCNs have access via Nutrition Services Sharepoint.
- A more complete list of nutrition resources can be found in our Topics Catalogue.
- To learn about options for your patient to see a dietitian, please refer to our listing of Diabetes Services in the Calgary area.